Monday, May 28, 2007

What are the Queen of England and the Prince of Wales doing my apartment?



I dreamed that I woke up and found myself living in a different apartment. It was actually inside a building instead of the outdoor complex I live in now. And I had a roommate: some lady. And this lady was friends with the Queen of England and the Prince of Wales. So I wake up and go out to the kitchen, and there is this lady with the Queen and the Prince. And she introduces us. I said, "How do you do, Prince... er, Your Highness. How do you do, Queen... ah, Your Majesty." Very awkward. I got the feeling they didn't approve of either me or my surroundings. So I left.

I went and found some friends (and I didn't recognize any of them-- do you ever have those dreams where your friends with people and you don't recognize any of them?) and we're hanging out and eventually we decide to return to my apartment. And we're driving into the parking lot and there's this huge crowd of people--press and police and gawkers--and so I say, "Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you: Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles are staying in my apartment." We go through the whole routine of getting patted down by the guards and our belongings searched, etc., in order to get in. Once inside, the hallways were long and twisted, like a maze, but not quite claustrophobic because there were windows always on one side, so you could see out all the time.

We get to my apartment and my roommate tells me that my friends and I need to stay in my room because the Queen isn't fond of strangers. So we're stuck hanging out in my room, which gets boring very quickly. My friends leave, and then I decide to leave, but then I discover that I'm not allowed to go. There are guards everywhere and everyone is required to stay in their rooms. I end up sneaking down to the basement and then crawling out a bathroom window.

I run into my cousin Carolyn and she invites me to come stay with her. But she has moved to a new house and I don't know where it is. When I am following her in my car, I lose her on the road, and I end up driving around in circles trying to find where she lives.

* * * * *

This was a bizarre dream because I really have no idea what it means. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't follow the news of the Royal Family all that closely, so I can't think why they would show up in my dream. I don't know who all those other people were. Thematically, there was a lot of emphasis on maze-like hallways and roads, and feeling trapped or lost. Perhaps it is merely a reaction to the end of the semester, with my losing the structure I've become accustomed to.

No comments: