Sunday, May 6, 2007

Have you seen this book?



I think I'm going mad.

I know I own this book. I'm sure of it. But I can't find it anywhere.

I have checked every shelf, every box in my closet.

I have a distinct memory of holding this book in my hands, smelling the new book smell, reading a few random pages, before setting it on the shelf for later... and now... gone.

Did I dream it?

I feel like Bilbo Baggins searching for his ring.

Someday I'm going to have an entire room devoted to books so things like this won't happen.

What a bother.

3 comments:

Badger said...

Fritz Leiber? He wrote some S&S series that I read as a teen. Can't remember what it was called; had animals as protagonists....OK now I'm going to have to look it up.

Anyway, I've had a similar thing happen: I'll remember a book or story and can't remember the name enough to be able to find it...anywhere. Sometimes I mix up the authors. Sometimes this leads to serendipity.

Some time ago you asked about mermaid stories or remarked that you like them. This got me thinking about a story I'd read ages ago about "mermen" in a fantasy anthology. I couldn't remember the author or the title. I thought maybe it was Poul Anderson. Couldn't find it. Then I thought it was Michael Moorcock. In looking on Amazon under Michael Moorcock, I didn't find what I was looking for, but instead found a series that he wrote some 20 years ago: the Pyat novels. These are historic novels written as an autobiography of a fictional character who spans the 20th century. I am now reading the 2nd in 4 and am totally hooked. Never did find the merman story...

See what you do to me!

Badger said...

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Tanja said...

Sorry-- the title of this book is misleading. It is actually a 3-in-1 offering of the Science Fiction Book Club for Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series.

See, you were right! ;-)