Tuesday, May 1, 2007

So much music, so little time...


tori's latest was released today, but do I have time to go shopping? [sigh!] And after spending $$$ on new tires and a front-end alignment, well, my heart just isn't into going out and spending more money. I have a weird relationship with money that way. Anytime I spend more than $100 on anything, I start to feel slightly ill. It has taken me most of my adult life to get to where shopping can be remotely pleasurable, and even then I'm still a walk-in-find-what-I-like-and-walk-out kind of shopper. Except for books. I can browse a bookstore for hours. Music runs a close second.

So I guess tori will have to wait. Looks like it's getting some good reviews. Yay, tori! Meanwhile, I have a really cool copy of Paste magazine with a CD sampler to keep me occupied (Thanks, Guy!). I love it when my "favorites" come out with new CDs, but I also love discovering new music, especially these obscure little bands from other countries that nobody has ever heard of who are trying new and interesting things. Trouble is, some of these obscure little bands put out one CD and then disappear forever.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to do a post on William Gibson's No Maps for These Territories. It's taking me a long time because there is just so much packed into that film, well, it's just going to be a really long post once I get to it. Anyway, the eminently quotable Gibson said that, with the advent of technology, "movements" don't really have time to gain momentum anymore. So these obscure little bands are catapulted into fame and fortune too quickly and burn out like meteorites. Even during the time of bands like Nirvana and the whole grunge thing. It just doesn't last anymore because there is no longer any "backwater" to nurture it. Almost as if music needs a primeval goo to evolve in before coming out into the light. It's an interesting thought. I mean, I just love the way the whole indie rock scene is taking off and there are all these obscure little bands getting attention. But what if there is some truth in what Gibson is saying? What if we are somehow disconnecting from that creative space where original ideas are born?

No comments: