Monday, May 7, 2007

A Note on Radiomancy



Hey, you know it's going to be a good day when you wake up with "Mr. Blue Sky" singing in your head. ;-)

First off, I have to give a nod to Brett, who widened my ELO horizons by revealing that "Mr. Blue Sky" is actually a very excellent song by ELO and *not* just a theme song for the new VW Beetles as I had previously supposed. ;-)

On "Radiomancy": I could have sworn I saw a Wikipedia entry on this, but I just did a search and nothing came up. So maybe I imagined it.

But you know what turned up when I did a Google search? My Blog! How's that for circularity? (And a little unnerving, I might add. I am suddenly in the spotlight... [shuffle, shuffle]) Here I was thinking anyone wondering could just go do a random search and figure it out. So now I feel Obligated to Explain Things.

Radiomancy, according to what I read on a Techno-witch's site (yes, Virginia, there are Techno-witches) is similar to Bibliomancy, which was an ancient practice in which someone would seek an answer to a problem or a vision of the future by randomly selecting a page or passage out of a sacred text. With Radiomancy, you randomly move the radio dial and listen for dialogue or verse as your "answer."

My Radiomancy is more passive. It's more of a good vibe, resonance thing. And I don't necessarily need the radio. It may be a song stuck in my head, like this morning. It may be the first song I hear when I turn on my car in the morning. Or I may be driving along, not paying attention exactly, and suddenly the next song on the radio resonates precisely with what I am feeling at that moment.

So no, I have not asked the radio to tell me my future. But you know, if the first song of the day is Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart", I ask you, How can that not be a wonderful day?

No comments: