Thursday, May 31, 2007

Elegant Solutions

Earlier this week, I accepted a freelance job transcribing a DVD of a panel of experts discussing the latest challenges faced in the microprocessing industry. Although taking these extra side jobs requires a tremendous time commitment for which I get paid relatively little, it's good resume fodder. And I actually enjoy it.

These people are speaking my language, and yet I have no idea what they are saying. Okay, I have an inkling of what they're saying. It's hard to grow up in the Computer Age and not pick up a little jargon along the way. But still. Their meaning hovers on the very edge of my understanding. And I am fascinated by that.

I am listening to these guys talk about microarchitectures and software ecosystems, multicores and multi-threading, user parallelism, homogeneous and heterogeneous programming models, acceleration differentiation, platform characteristics and virtualization layers, codestreams and discreet processors.

Are you listening? Do you hear what is happening? This is the sound of language evolving. This is the sound of words stretching around new meanings, expanding to encompass new concepts, shifting to fill our need to communicate. This is the sound of language doing what it was meant to do.

Amazing, isn't it?

No comments: