Sunday, June 24, 2007

White Girl Can('t) Dance

Second gig at the Solis Winery. Much, much better performance-wise-- very tight. Yesterday was good, but today just felt cleaner. We had our cues down. As Aretha sings in "Niki Hoeky" (one of our songs): "Everything is copacetic now." ;-)

I don't know about my dance aesthetic though. Physically, I still feel a little awkward, a little too stiff. I loosen up more as we go along, but I'm really more Janis Joplin than Janet Jackson. But perhaps that's appropriate. I've got that whole hippie-chick thing dooowwwnnn, Man. And much as I have tried to resist the whole singer-with-the-tambourine stereotype, I find that I'm a lot more confident when I have something to do with my hands. I'm learning to use the tambourine and maracas and this little egg thing with beads or sand or something in it jokingly referred to as the "E-flat Egg"--that one is my favorite. Hey, when you've got something to shake, the world shakes with you.

We had a bigger crowd today, too. It is exciting and gratifying to see people engaged with the performance, looking up, clapping, singing along, even getting up and dancing. Yesterday, the people were just as appreciative (one guy even told me I sounded just like Linda Ronstadt on "Oooh, Baby, Baby") but there is something about a larger crowd bringing a larger energy. Well, IF they are engaged and paying attention. I have sung to crowds who were more interested in their dinner... Anyway, that was not the case, either yesterday or today. Both performances were very positive experiences. I'm looking forward to going back there again.

Rock on! ;-)



23 Days til Lift-Off

No comments: