Monday, June 4, 2007

Dragonflight!

Dragonflight by Michael Whelan

Oh, Tongue, give sound to joy and sing
Of hope and promise on dragonwing!
~Anne McCaffrey


I was dreaming that I was a dragonrider on Pern, flying over the Istan desert. This is odd because I don't believe any of the books were set in Ista (unless there was a short story I'm only barely remembering).

I haven't read any of these books in years. I have always said that of all the books I have read, many of them may have been better written, but the only place I have ever truly wanted to visit, and maybe even stay forever, is Pern.

I was riding a dragon!!! So. Very. Cool.


P.S. There have been a number of different artists assigned to do the cover art for McCaffrey's books over the years, but I still think Michael Whelan's is the best.

No comments: