Thursday, June 7, 2007

Magical Mystery Tour

So I've been hinting at this big trip I've been planning for awhile now. It all started last October when I saw an announcement about a class in International Children's Literature offered through Salisbury University in Maryland. And I thought, "Maryland. Hmm. I know someone in Maryland." And then I saw that it was more than just a class, it was a trip! And not just any trip, but a trip to museums and culture houses and libraries and on and on. So after some wishing and hoping and dreaming, and some student loans and some careful planning... Well, it looks like it's really going to happen. Forty days counting down to lift off.

The following is the short list. What you don't see is all the places I will actually be visiting. I believe I will occasionally have access to internet cafes and such, so I will post/send email about details as regularly as I can. I will be meeting the authors and illustrators of the books we will be reading for the course. This will be interesting because it will be a "working" vacation. I'm going to be seeing some incredible sights, but I'll have to do homework, too! But I don't really mind. School has always felt like a vacation to me anyhow.

The pace looks exhausting. I hope I can keep up! I'm just remembering how tired and jet-lagged I felt for the first three or four days when I went to Germany in 2004.


July 17-19 -- Fly to BWI; Hang out with Maria in Baltimore and Salisbury!
July 20 -- Course commences at Salisbury University
July 21 -- Bus from Salisbury University to BWI. Fly to Iceland.
July 22 -- 24 Iceland
July 25-26 Copenhagen. (July 26-- Happy 40th Birthday to Me!)
July 27 Leave Copenhagen around 8:30 reach Hamburg (5 hour drive/ferry)
July 28 Leave Hamburg by 9 AM. for Bremen (2 hour drive)
Proceed to Cologne (3 hours drive) for overnight.
July 29 Cologne.
July 30 Leave for Kassel by 9AM
Proceed to Schlitz
Spend night in Fulda
July 31 Leave for Frankfurt by 9 AM (2 hours)
Proceed to Heidelburg (2 hours)
August 1 Leave Heidelberg by 8:30 AM
Early lunch in Stuttgart
Proceed to Ellwangen
August 3 Leave early in the morning for Munich
Visit Dachau
August 4 leave by 8:30 AM for Salzburg, Austria (2 hours)
Leave Salzburg by 4 PM. Spend night in Munich
August 5 – 7 Leave Leipzieg arrive in Berlin
August 8–10 Warsaw
August 11-- 13 Flight to Malmo/Copenhagen
August 14 return to BWI
August 15 Fly home!

I am so excited! I really have to make myself *not* think about it, because otherwise, I'd never get anything done.

40 Days to Lift-Off

No comments: