Thursday, March 1, 2007

"O brave new world that has such people in it!"

A friend of mine mentioned recently how she observed some pre-teens in a mall walking along with their iPods all plugged in and not saying a word to eachother or anyone else. And these were 10-12 year olds, mind, not 16-18. How could these kids even be friends, she wondered, without ever talking or sharing anything?

Now, I could counter that with what I have observed of my 14-year-old. He is in constant communication with his friends: text messages, cell phones, myspace, etc. So I don't think they are lacking connections completely. And-- it's ghastly, I know-- it likely consists of things like "do u wnt 2 go 2 the mall w/me?" But they do communicate. However, it does seem that when they are in eachother's physical presence they are far more comfortable "plugged in" than not.

I think today's younger generation may be lacking in certain face-to-face people skills, but they are gaining (perhaps) communication skills in other areas, compensating for the impact these new technologies have on our culture. I am very cautious whether to put forward the opinion that this is a benign, neutral, or negative change, whether it is a "natural" or "unnatural" outgrowth of our culture's evolution. My gut feeling is that as long as these things are used to bring people together rather than put boundries between them then it is a good thing.

And I have to admit, as an adult, I rely a great deal on email and cell phones to communicate with my friends, especially those long distance. And look, here I am, blogging. There is something very attractive, very enticing about having a cyber-room of one's own (to paraphrase Virginia Woolf). Sure, I would much rather be with my friends in person, but lacking that... well, this is not a bad way to share one's thoughts. And it's fun!


Is it really communication, though? Or does it set up an illusion of communication? Are we all lost on Sting's metaphorical island, sending out our "Message in a Bottle"? Is anyone ever really listening?


Current mood: Reflective
Current music: Kate Bush Aerial

5 comments:

Mischief said...

> Is it really communication, though?
> Or does it set up an illusion of communication?

It's certainly communication, but stresses different skills. Overall it's a good thing, in my view.

For example, an artist friend told me that the fascinating thing with software like 3D rendering tools was that it allowed the expression of skills that could not be expressed before. Someone may have been a great artist but a terrible sketcher, and therefore the world would never get to see their creations. But now they can.

Blogs are psychologically more complex. People get to consider their words more, reveal more, than they would face to face. It's interesting how many people it appeals to.

Overall I think communication avenues are increasing, not decreasing. But it's true that some existing skills will get less emphasis. We will all be realizing our potential a bit more, and we will all seem mildly autistic to earlier generations. :)

(Internet handles are another side effect of the modern age... You do know me, but for now let me be mysterious. ;)

Tanja said...

Okay, I'm intrigued... ;-)

Kehaulani said...

Hi Tanja,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the I-pod thing. I don't just see little kids listening to music in public, but adults too. Especially on the underground or bus. What I don't like about it, is that it completely separtes them from their surroundings. I got in a traffic accident several years ago because someone was listening to music and didn't see a car coming.

I really don't like this music-drug sedation. And it seems, that these really tiny mp3 players are so popular at the moment, that practicaly everyone is plugged in.

Another thing that is really bazairre is cell phones. I don't mind them that much, but what I think is very strange is that they ban them from a lot of public places in Germany. Like in the bus or underground! Because it bothers people when you talk to yourself.... nevermind that some youths can get quite loud talking to their friends who are sitting there with them, but god no that we should allow someone to talk in a normal voice and only hear one side of the conversation!

Tanja said...

Hi Olivia!

RE: god no that we should allow someone to talk in a normal voice and only hear one side of the conversation!

That is so true! Whenever I find myself getting annoyed with someone talking on a cell phone, I chide myself for this irony. What's the difference?

Most of the time, I can dismiss "normal" chatter, but I think when it really bothers me is when they start sharing what would seem to be something private or personal. I think (and I've noticed this in myself, too) that being on the phone gives one the illusion of a private conversation. It's easy to forget that you are surrounded by others who are listening in, albeit through no fault of their own. I think when people are talking face-to-face, they have more of a tendency to lower their voices when the personal stuff comes up.

Another point that was raised re: technology and skill levels-- A teacher posted on another site that one concern she had was that kids were losing the ability to read a lengthy sustained argument, let alone write one of their own. With so much emphasis on "instant messaging", no one has the patience anymore to follow a train of thought to its conclusion. In spite of the other skills these persons may be gaining, I think this raises a valid concern.

However, I also believe that with each generation, there will always be personalities that are more suited to deep thinking along with those who are not, and they all manage to find their niche in the world.

Badger said...

Avenues do open up. I regularly communicate with people on Net forums, by email, and blogs who live all over the world. We feel like we actually get to know each other.

I had an interesting experience this past fall. I met, in person, a guy I had "known" on an internet forum for something like 4 years. The way we talked was interesting. We weren't yet used to each other's voice's but we knew intimate details about each other's lives.