Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Disneyland Memories


I reminded myself in my last post that I hadn't posted anything about our Disneyland trip yet, so I guess I'll go back and recap that.

Jared & I joined some friends for the trip down south in January. Why January? you may ask. Well, it's during semester break, and that's really the only time we frazzled grad students can get away. So off we went.

We had bought park hopper passes online plus hotel so everything was pre-arranged. The hotel was... eh... not impressive. But beggars can't be choosers. It was formerly a Red Roof Inn recently converted to a Motel 6. It was a couple of blocks from Disneyland, which was walkable, but there was a shuttle option which we used part of the time.



We were there on MLK weekend so there was a decent sized crowd, but not as bad as it would have been in high summer. The crowd thinned out by Monday and by Tuesday the streets were all but deserted. We used our early entry pass on that day. Not only were we first in line for Space Mountain, but after the ride cycled through, there still wasn't anyone else there, so we got to go again! That was cool.

The weather was freezing! I was wearing stretch pants underneath my jeans and trying to squeeze my hands into little-girl-sized pink princess gloves (the only gloves they sell in Disneyland apparently, other than the Nightmare Before Christmas ones with the fingers cut off of them-- it was cold, so I opted for the ones with fingers). I didn't bring nearly enough cold weather clothing. We were in southern California! I was expecting... you know... warm weather. At least warmer. But no, the weather gods were not in the mood.



It was neat to have the time to really walk around Disneyland and enjoy everything, sometimes more than once. I hadn't been back in something like 20 years, so there were lots of new rides. Indiana Jones was fabulous, of course. And the Twilight Zone and California Soarin' on the California Adventure side was fun, too. We got to see a little bit of fireworks our first night, plus Tinkerbell's flight-- which is a lot more exciting than it was when I was a kid (ain't modern technology wonderful!)-- I mean, she really flew! Very impressive. However, the winds were too high every night after that so no more fireworks after Friday. We did get to see a pretty spectacular laser light show on Saturday though. The Pirates ride was good.... the new additions with Captain Jack Sparrow are amusing and very well done.... but I don't know.... there's a little bit of nostalgia lost by bringing in the new stuff. Haunted Mansion was closed for renovation. :-(

I have to say that one of the rides that surprised me the most was the Peter Pan ride. I don't remember ever going on this ride before... and it was wonderful! It's in the area behind Sleeping Beauty's Castle generally considered the "little kids rides," so it's easy to miss. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was good, too. Why can't I remember them?

Some random memories:

My first trip to Disneyland, I was seven. I remember standing in line with my family for the ferry boat ride and suddenly remembering what day it was. It was my birthday--I was seven years old--and I was at Disneyland! It was a splendid moment. My favorite ride was the Submarine.

My second trip, I was eleven. I had written to my pen pal to tell her when I was going to be there. She had written back, but I didn't receive her reply until after we returned. She said she was going to meet me at the Small World ride. I wonder if she was there that day? I never found out. We lost touch. Favorite ride: Matterhorn.

My third trip, I was seventeen. I was with the Chamber Chorale group from high school. I felt so independent, so far from home, out with my friends, staying out late in Disneyland! At one point, we ended up sitting at a table next to Robbie Benson. He was there with his family and we really didn't want to disturb him. But finally Allison, who was a fan, made her way over to ask for his autograph. He seemed gracious, but a little sad. Favorite ride: Space Mountain.

My fourth trip, I was 21 (or almost). It was my honeymoon. Favorite moment: Standing in line for the Star Wars ride. Favorite ride: Star Wars, of course!

Fifth trip: I am 39. Favorite ride: Well.... that's tough. All of the above, (except the Submarine is gone now) plus Indiana Jones and California Soarin'. And Peter Pan. You know, I have to say Peter Pan was the best. Maybe because it does manage to capture the nostalgia of an earlier age.

All in all, it was a great trip. We had fun racing around with our friends, riding rides, seeing the sights. The memories are warm, even if the weather was cold.

No comments: