Friday, March 2, 2007

Somewhere an ancient bard is turning in his grave...

Beowulf on Ice. Yes, you read that right. Beowulf on Ice. It's true. I'm not making it up.

http://www.dailynews.com/gossip/ci_5323571

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all about freedom of expression, especially when it comes to art. And I will freely admit that my parents took me to Disney on Ice when I was five and I was completely enchanted. And I will freely admit that many an Olympic Winter of my mispent youth was spent watching the ice skaters. Because it's beautiful. I admit that.

But Beowulf on Ice???? What nimrod thought that up? Beowulf is an ancient medieval poem full of dignity and splendor, deeds of grotesque horror and noble heroism. It's meant to be uttered reverently, one bright candle held against the dark.

What's next? Star Wars Underwater Ballet? (Wait, that might actually work... )


Current mood: Bemused
Current music: Sarah McLachlan Afterglow

2 comments:

Mischief said...

I'd like to think it's intentionally irreverent, what with having the audience out on the ice too. Like those troupes that condense all of Shakespeare's plays into one sitting (e.g., http://www.reducedshakespeare.com/shakespeare.html).

Most modern treatments of these tales do cut corners, some just own up to it more. :) It mostly bothers me when there are glossed over continuity gaps, like an army being fully assembled the next day (see the movie versions of Troy and Tristan and Isolde...).

That said, I do prefer my Beowulfs as the gods intended: full of angst and slaying. You're probably aware that Gaiman has a script for a movie version? It's scheduled for release this year.

I'm more alarmed that when I did a Google search on Beowulf the first hits seemed to be places I could buy my college essay on it.

Tanja said...

Re: Gaiman script. Oh, yes, I am waiting impatiently for that. I fully anticipate that to be "as the gods intended." ;-)