Saturday, March 17, 2007

Irish Musings

I cannot recall where I pick these things up, these tales and stories from long ago. It bothers me that I cannot remember, and I go searching through the books that I have in order to find some stray bit of knowledge. It is not always a successful quest. Somehow I end up like Bilbo, asking, "What have I got in my pocket?" without knowing completely what I have found.

So. Leprechauns. I know that I read somewhere that the original Leprechaun was a hero, possibly a god. He was tall and powerful and strong and had many adventures. It was only after the coming of the Christians that he ended up being diminished and relegated to the fairy tale creature we know today. I wish I could remember where I read that. If you know, please tell me.

Most of these old tales were sung. Sometimes I think we would remember them better that way. We would remember a lot of things better that way. Haven't there been studies done on mnemonic memory? In Tori Amos' song "Ireland" she sings, "I remember Macha running faster than the horses." I looked up Macha's story and now I remember, too.

Macha's husband made a bet with the King of Ulster that she, although heavy with child, could outrun all the king's horses and all the king's men. The King took the bet and insisted that she run the race. She ran the race, and she won, but she cursed Ulster and all his men, saying that they would have to endure pain like that of childbirth whenever the kingdom was threatened. (And that happened alot in those days so I imagine they were feeling that curse quite a bit). Later she gave birth to twins. To this day, there is a castle in Ulster called "Macha's Twins." Interesting, eh?

There are lots of exciting tales of Irish heros, gods, queens, and goddesses: Cuchalann, Finn MacCool, Maebh, Morrigan, and others. There was one hero who had a silver hand, or sometimes it is an arm, depending on the story. I can't remember his name. The love story of Trystan and Iseult is another good one, but that is getting into Arthurian legend, so I'm not sure if it is entirely Irish.

Oh, yeah, and then there's that Saint Patrick guy. He's an interesting character. If you want to read a fascinating book about the human Patrick before he became a saint, find The Last Rainbow by Parke Godwin (I think it is out of print, unfortunately). Godwin is a master at bringing legends to life while retaining just enough glamour to make you understand why that person's story is still with us today.


Current mood: Sleepy
Current music (in my head): tori amos "Ireland"

No comments: