Saturday, April 7, 2007

Man, I need a T.V. when I've got T-Rex


It's been a long time since a dream has waked me in a sudden sweat. In the early hours of morning I had one of those dreams.

It begins in the confused muddle that dreams sometimes are. I'm back in the Cabaret (last summer--I"ll tell you about it sometime), and I'm at home getting ready (except I'm in an actual house, not an apartment, but I know in the strange way of dreams, that this is my home). I'm struggling with my stockings and I can't seem to get them on straight. No matter how I adjust them, the seams are all crooked, and I'm getting frustrated because I know I'm already late.

And something moves past my window-- a huge bulk of a shadow crossing a gauzy white curtain-- and it's a T-Rex. First, he eats the Muppets in the garden: Animal, Kermit, Miss Piggy, maybe a Fraggle or two. (Why are there Muppets in the garden? I don't know! It seemed to make some kind of sense at the time...) Then there's an opera singer standing by the window--and she's either singing or screaming, I can't tell--and the T-Rex's head bursts through the window and wall and snatches her up. I drop to the floor because I know he's coming for me next. I want to wiggle under my bed but there's no time, he's already in the room. And I must stay Absolutely Still. I am lying face down on the floor with my arms wrapped around my head and stomach like they say you should do if you are attacked by a Grizzly. I am lying absolutely rigid and trying not to breathe.

And suddenly in the strange way of dreams I am both the Mind's Eye that sees the dream and Myself pressing my face down into the floor. It's not as crude as a split screen in a film; I am actually experiencing both visions at once. (I've read that only really creative minds dream this way...). And I watch as the T-Rex moves into the room, cocking his great head to gaze along the length of me with his one great eye. And as he leans down closer I can feel his hot breath blasting against the side of my head, scattering my hair in a ruffled plume. And my heart is racing and I'm trying not to breathe and trying not to scream and my lungs are burning... And he lets loose his terrible roar, shattering the world around me...

Is it any wonder I woke up at that point?

NOT my idea of being eaten. Oh, no, not at all.


Current music: David Bowie Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

1 comment:

Photo Rat said...

You should have known you were in trouble as soon as you saw the fat lady singing.