Thursday, August 7, 2008

Postcards from the Labyrinth


Today was my last day of teaching the 7th and 8th grade book clubs. We brought in snacks and movies to celebrate. I was surprised--pleasantly--that they chose to watch the older Labyrinth over the more recent Stardust. (The first question they ask when I tell them about a book or movie is, "When was it made?") They were shocked when I told them the movie came out when I was a teenager. I had a hard time convincing them that I used to look like Jennifer Connelly. (Have I really changed all that much?)

Even as I pressed play, I had my reservations. I thought, These kids are too sophisticated. They'll hate it and end up mocking one of my dearest pieces of nostalgia. But I was wrong. They were enchanted. They loved the goblins. And Hoggle. They thought the Goblin King was played by Michael Jackson. No, I told them, that's David Bowie. Is he dead? they asked. No, he's still very much alive and enjoying an active career. (They found that less likely than believing in goblins and skipped past the singing bits). There were some tense moments. "I'm going to have nightmares!" one boy exclaimed. There was laughter--not mocking, but from genuine pleasure.

As I watched them from the back of the room, huddled together in the dark, fidgeting and commenting (and then shushing), no more able to keep their thoughts to themselves than their hands and feet, it occurred to me that there is a remarkable similarity between children and goblins. Perhaps the reason why a 22-year-old movie can still have such appeal is related to how keenly children enjoy having that part of themselves reflected back at them off the screen--that maddening, mischievous, magical part.

And as for me? Well...

"Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City..."

I am no longer that naive, lost young girl. I made it there sure enough. Come to think of it, it could be I never left. Maybe if I stick around long enough, the goblins will make me their Queen.






23 Days til the Burn!

1 comment:

Artist Anika said...

I love the older Labyrinth. One of my all time favs!