Monday, September 10, 2007

I *am* Little Red Riding Hood. Know ye not that?


I taught my first class today. Folktales: with an emphasis on Little Red Riding Hood. Also, a recap of my trip this summer. It went really well. I had lots of enthusiasm (gawd, just open a vein--has this not been in me my entire life?) and the students responded with questions and discussion afterwards.



At the end of class, an undergrad with shining eyes came up and asked me, "How can I get where you are? How do you do what you do?" And I thought, Oh my God.... She's me. I was there, I used to be there, and now I'm here...


I get so caught up looking ahead to where I want to be, I forget to look behind and see how far I've come. The forest is deep and endless and the wolves are not always what they seem...







Illustrations by Gustav Dore

No comments: