Thursday, July 5, 2007

Doctor Who?


I didn't believe they could do it. When I heard the BBC was reviving Doctor Who I just couldn't believe that they could ever top the old series. But they did. And it's spectacular. The writing is superb, the direction rapid-fire, the special effects flawless. The new Doctor is younger, sexier, and every bit as engaging as his predecessors. The old Who may have had the adage "No hanky-panky in the TARDIS" but the new Who toys with the underlying sexual tension by playing out a very delicate dance between the sexes. Rose kind of fancies the Doctor, but she is somewhat hesitant because, well, he is an alien, and then there is that whole age difference of some 900 years. She's really more excited about traveling the galaxy, so in the interest of exploration (and family viewing) the platonic relationship remains intact. I mean, who wouldn't want to travel the whole of time and space in a little blue box that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Who wouldn't want a sonic screwdriver?

Then the first season ended with Christopher Eccleston passing the role along to David Tennant. And I didn't believe they could do it. Eccleston really made me believe he was the Doctor. I didn't believe another actor could make me feel that way again. But by the end of the first episode of season two, Tennant had me sold. He is the Doctor, and he may be the best yet. Plus he's brought back the whole trench coat look, and you know how I feel about those. I never could resist a guy in a trench coat, especially if he has a sexy British accent...



12 Days til Lift-Off

No comments: