Friday, December 7, 2007

Space... The Unattainable Frontier?



First, De Anza College has a New Planetarium! They have some really neat shows scheduled, so check it out.

I took my son and a friend to see a show there, and it really was worth the experience. It has been years since I've sat in a Planetarium and stared up at a starry dome, taking a mindtrip across the universe; I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

However, our host said something that left me feeling kind of disturbed and restless. He said, "This is probably the closest I'll get to experiencing actual space travel." Sadly, I couldn't help but agree with him.

Do you remember how bright and shiny the year 2000 looked from the 70s and 80s? We were going to have flying cars and space stations and trips to the Moon and maybe even a colony on Mars. I thought that even if I wasn't an astronaut I might at least get a trip into space in my lifetime.

What happened to that bright future? Who stole our Science Fiction Age?

I want to go. Oh, I do.


No comments: